Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My first attempt at meatloaf

Pioneer woman I am not.  Until today I had never made a meatloaf before.  Something about it intimidated me.  Plus the fact that my mom makes the best meatloaf I've ever tasted, I was sure I'd screw it up.  And I was kind of right.  But I had to try making it, and while it wasn't as good as my moms, it was decent.  I messed up a little but now I know what to do different next time. 

The problem is my moms recipe is the "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" type of recipe.  So can you blame me for getting the proportions wrong?  I used way too much meat.  Enough meat to make 2 whole loaves, but only put in enough other ingredients for one.  So it was kind of bland. 




The ingredients




I sliced the onion really thin because I don't like chunks of onion.  And I should have used more onion for the amount of meat I used.
 Then I diced up the onion and threw all the ingredients in a big bowl (except for the carrots potatoes and bouillon).  
 Then you mush it all together.  It's messy.
 Form it into a loaf (or in my case, two loaves) and bake it until browned.
 Mmmmmm meat
Cut up the carrots and potatoes and place around the loaf and cover with beef broth and bake until meat is cooked through and veggies are tender.
 Finished product.  Before I took the meatloaf out of the oven I made a mixture of ketchup and Worcestershire and slathered over the top of the meat.  It was really good.
 Really really good. 
But, it'll be much better next time when I use half the amount of meat and the same everything else.  And there will be a next time.  Very very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment